Monday, November 3, 2014

Glad to be living

I just want to bring everyone up to date on what happened to me health wise this weekend as it was quite rare and life threatening and I am so grateful to be alive today. Saturday morning I was still not feeling well and found myself unable to urinate. I went to the emergency room, thinking I had the flu and was severely dehydrated. I was not. I was actually in acute renal failure. Both my kidneys were blocked and my body was filling with poison. They were able to do lifesaving emergency surgery on me and insert stints into my kidneys to allow the urine to pass. Over the next two days, I released 12 liters of urine, approximately 35 lbs, according to my doctor this morning. I still have stones in both kidneys which will be removed in a series of surgeries over the next two months. Normally, I would have known I was developing kidney stones, however, because of the damage to my back, I could not feel the pain. What happened to me, with both kidneys blocking at the same time, is a rarity. I am grateful to my doctor for sending me to the emergency room and for the medical team at Unity Park Ridge who saved my life this weekend. If you have any questions, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment