Friday, April 1, 2016

INHUMANITY AND INJUSTICE

When I was in seminary, I took a course on advocacy and organizing. One of the questions we were asked to think about was what we felt was the most pressing social issue in contemporary society. Then and now, it is hard for me to pick just one, as there are so many issues that seem important for different reasons.  I could talk about the global exploitation of people in developing countries or the trafficking of women as sexual slaves and prostitutes or violence against women or poverty or hate crimes or systemic injustice.  My list of issues has grown over the last over the last 10 years. Trying to pick one over the other makes me feel as if I am saying one issue is more pressing than the other, as if I am trying to prioritize them.  This is hard for me to do because I think they are all important for different reasons and to different groups of people.  At the root of all these issues is a common thread which contributed to their existence.  Ultimately, I have come to realize that the most pressing social issue in contemporary society is our inhumanity for and towards each other.
Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment